The Whirlwind (WW) Barbarian uses the Wrath of the Wastes set and has become one of the strongest builds in the game after having Rend added to its bonus. The core concept is that Whirlwind applies the Damage over Time (DoT) effect from Rend using Ambo's Pride. You spin and move through the monster while DoTing and killing them quickly.
Some people call this build "Rend Barb" while others call it "Whirlwind Barb", however the build's main damage comes from Rend as Whirlwind just applies the Rend to do all the damage.
This build excels many other builds in Diablo at Speed farming content as it is lighting quick and deals a tremendous amount of damage while constantly moving.
This is an Area Damage (AD) build, since selfcast Rend can proc it. However, any Rend cast by Ambo's Pride does not have this property (see Mechanics), requiring you to weave in Rends manually while spinning around with Whirlwind. Due to the pulling power of Ancient Spear Rage Flip and Ground Stomp Wrenching Smash this build is excellent for high solo push on the leaderboards. So let's get started!
Very Mobile ✔
Easy Gameplay ✔
One of the Strongest Builds ✔
Deals Damage while Moving ✔
❌ Cooldown Dependency
❌ Band of Might Dependency
❌ No Full Area Damage Benefit
❌ Easy to Play Difficult to Master
- We use the Wrath of the Wastes set for the crazy damage increase and toughness while channeling Whirlwind and for three seconds after.
- Lamentation provides a Rend damage buff and makes Rend stack twice on the same target.
- Ambo's Pride lets us apply the damage over time from Rend in just 1 second.
- On Jewelry slots you can choose between:
Squirt's Necklace, Focus & Restraint, Convention of Elements for multiplicative damage or Band of Might for an insane toughness boost.
- Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac can be a nice alternative for Cooldown Reduction but you have to lose a damage multiplier to equip it.
- In the Weapon slot we can use Messerschmidt's Reaver or In-geom for Cooldown Reduction as well as Echoing Fury for the Movement Speed.
Season 25 Soul Shards
Soul Shards are powerful socketable items that only drop during Season 25. There are 4 available for Weapons based on the Lesser Evils, with another 3 for Helmets based on the Prime Evils. They drop at Rank 0 and be upgraded three times with the brand new Hellforge Embers to unlock additional powers, or be used in the Kanai's Cube as Augments. Here's how they progress:
- Rank 0: Soul Shards begin with a unique static Legendary Power. Creates a Rank 50 Augment.
- Rank 1: Gives all powers from the normal gems. Creates a Rank 75 Augment.
- Rank 2: Grants one additional powerful stat. Creates a Rank 100 Augment.
- Rank 3: Unlocks 1 of 3 bonus Legendary Powers unique to that Soul Shard. Creates a Rank 125 Augment.
Warning: Leoric's Crown and Broken Crown do not work with Soul Shards!
Read our Soul Shards Guide for full details on how they work. What you should prioritize on them for Solo Pushing is the following:
- The Correct Soul Shard & Rank 3 Power
The best shards for Solo Pushing are:
- Helmets: We want to use Sliver of Terror for the massive damage buff from our abilities on cooldown. For the Rank 3 power take the Ring of Fire to unleash a devastating AoE blast for big leaderboard pushes!
- Weapons: We want to use Essence of Anguish for the Movement Speed and Cooldown Reduction. For the Rank 3 power take the 50% increased Poison Damage, which actually applies to all damage done! Hint: Make sure to get a Poison Damage Range on your Weapon so it can proc the shard automatically.
- The Rank 2 Stat
The stats that come from the second upgrade are not equal. Here's what we're looking for on them:
- Helmets: We want either Main Stat for damage or Melee/Ranged Damage Reduction to survive. Avoid Armor and All Resistance as their stat ranges are far too low compared to the other options.
- Weapons: We want either % Damage or Physical Damage to boost our character's power the furthest. Avoid Attack Speed since it does not work with Rend casts from Ambo's Pride.
- The Stat Ranges on the Rank 1 and 2 Powers
This is just icing on the cake because the ranges will not make or break your build. Still, look for the Soul Shards with the best stat ranges, especially on the offensive stats.
For the other game modes, other Soul Shards can be used. Check the Variants below to see what's used there.
What about extra Soul Shards? Either salvage them for gems, or upgrade and use them in Kanai's Cube for Augments.
Global Stat Priorities
Aim for around 45-50% Cooldown Reduction to ensure permanent Wrath of the Berserker, use Boon of Bul-kathos and complementary Cooldown Reduction items like Messerschmidt's Reaver or In-geom.
Rend damage does not scale with Attack Speed so we do not need to reach any Breakpoints here!
- Put together the core items and acquire the full Wrath of the Wastes set.
- Overall very powerful build that can be used to farm anything in the game without changing gear too much!
- Very tanky and hardcore friendly especially with the Band of Might setup!
- The strongest solo push build Barb currently has!
- Easy to play the base version but difficult to master in Solo Pushes!
Written by Rob.
Reviewed by Northwar & Raxxanterax.