The Tal Rasha's Elements Set is probably the most iconic Wizard set in the Diablo franchise, originating from Diablo II where it was the Sorceress set. Over the years, Tal Rasha's Elements dictated the META multiple times. First in Season 3 with Mammoth Hydra using Pain Enhancer to get an obscene amount of Flame Blades stacks, uncapped back then. It returned in Season 6 with Vyr's Amazing Arcana (4) Bonus during the glory days of the Archon Twister zET META.
One of the most popular and useful one these days besides Energy Twister is Arcane Orb Frozen Orb. Season 22 brought this build into the spotlight for Wizard players once again, able to play once again the iconic Frozen Orb from Diablo II.
It’s quick, impactful and the explosions are very satisfying when played correctly. Very few builds incorporate the fantasy of a spell-slinging Wizard as well as this one. It's also possible to play this build as a LoD variant, which frees up skill slots and allows lots of utility choices.
While it’s not the best in fast content such as Nephalem Rifts, it can be quite successful in Greater Rifts push on the Tal Rasha's Elements leaderboard. The basic idea is to trap enemies and stack them up by using of Black Hole and unleash devastating icy explosions onto them from the right distance.
Iconic Frozen Orb ✔
Rewards Good Gameplay ✔
Not Channeling Playstyle ✔
Fun and Satisfying Explosions ✔
❌ Needs Setup Time
❌ Struggles to Kill Elites
❌ Vulnerable to Crowd Control
❌ Difficult to Execute Perfectly
- Tal Rasha's Elements provides us with a 8,000% separate global damage multiplier but requires us to juggle four abilities with four different elements Arcane, Cold, Lightning and Fire.
- Unstable Scepter is our core weapon, providing a 450% separate damage multiplier and a second explosion for Frozen Orbs, nearly doubling our total damage.
- Triumvirate grants us a stacking 400% damage buff for a total 1,200% separate damage multiplier to Frozen Orb when using Signature Spells.
- Wizardspike was buffed in Season 22 to grant another 350% separate damage multiplier on top of a 25% chance to cast an extra Frozen Orb when attacking.
- Aquila Cuirass grants us a welcomed 50% damage reduction for Greater Rift push.
- Halo of Karini is a core Wizard defensive item, providing us with a tremendous 80% damage reduction at the cost of using Storm Armor.
- Ring of Royal Grandeur allows us to complement our Tal Rasha's Elements Set with Captain Crimson's Trimmings.
Season 25 Soul Shards
Soul Shards are powerful socketable items that only drop during Season 25. There are 4 available for Weapons based on the Lesser Evils, with another 3 for Helmets based on the Prime Evils. They drop at Rank 0 and be upgraded three times with the brand new Hellforge Embers to unlock additional powers, or be used in the Kanai's Cube as Augments. Here's how they progress:
- Rank 0: Soul Shards begin with a unique static Legendary Power. Creates a Rank 50 Augment.
- Rank 1: Gives all powers from the normal gems. Creates a Rank 75 Augment.
- Rank 2: Grants one additional powerful stat. Creates a Rank 100 Augment.
- Rank 3: Unlocks 1 of 3 bonus Legendary Powers unique to that Soul Shard. Creates a Rank 125 Augment.
Warning: Leoric's Crown and Broken Crown do not work with Soul Shards!
Read our Soul Shards Guide for full details on how they work. What you should prioritize on them for Solo Pushing is the following:
- The Correct Soul Shard & Rank 3 Power
The best shards for Solo Pushing are:
- Helmets: We want to use Sliver of Terror for the massive damage buff from our abilities on cooldown. For the Rank 3 power take the Ring of Fire to unleash a devastating AoE blast for big leaderboard pushes!
- Weapons: We want to use Essence of Anguish for the Movement Speed and Cooldown Reduction. For the Rank 3 power take the 50% increased Poison Damage, which actually applies to all damage done! Hint: Make sure to get a Poison Damage Range on your Weapon so it can proc the shard automatically.
- The Rank 2 Stat
The stats that come from the second upgrade are not equal. Here's what we're looking for on them:
- Helmets: We want either Main Stat for damage or Melee/Ranged Damage Reduction to survive. Avoid Armor and All Resistance as their stat ranges are far too low compared to the other options.
- Weapons: We want either % Damage or Cold Damage to boost our character's power the furthest.
- The Stat Ranges on the Rank 1 and 2 Powers
This is just icing on the cake because the ranges will not make or break your build. Still, look for the Soul Shards with the best stat ranges, especially on the offensive stats.
For the other game modes, other Soul Shards can be used. Check the Variants below to see what's used there.
What about extra Soul Shards? Either salvage them for gems, or upgrade and use them in Kanai's Cube for Augments.
Global Stat Priorities
You want to stack damage stats wherever possible, especially Critical Hit Chance and Damage, Area Damage as well as Cold Damage and Arcane Orb Damage. The remaining options go to Attack Speed or Damage Range (Rings) and Defense or Resource Cost Reduction whenever you can fit it in. It is required to get Arcane Power on Critical Hit (APoC) on your Off-Hand in order to keep shooting Frozen Orbs, especially for Rift Guardian fights.
- Keep up your Storm Armor for Halo of Karini buff at all times.
- Don't forget to use your abilities to keep up your four Tal Rasha's Elements stacks.
- Activate your Triumvirate bonus by using your Signature Spells regularly.
- Pull enemies together with Black Hole to stack them tightly and prevent them from moving.
- Position yourself at the right distance to explode Arcane Orb Frozen Orb directly on top of the enemies.
- Play around the Convention of Elements cycle to maximize your damage.
I hope you enjoyed this guide! Frozen Orb is one of the core Wizard skills, and Tal Rasha Elements the most iconic Wizard set in Diablo. It can be very fun and rewarding setting up the correct pulls and destroying them with your icy explosions. Good luck!
Written by Chewingnom with insights from LouLou.